*.NDS Rom Info Scraping (C#)

I am starting a small ROM management project to help me keep my various ROM backups in order and make searching for a specific backup easier. I decided it would be a good idea to programatically extract information from the ROM file and then scrape the www to get more detailed metadata about the ROM file in question.

Being new to all of this I spent some time on Google and found the following wiki page, that details the DSi Cartridge Header, thus allowing me to create a module for my ROM scraper that would be able to look for and extract all the basic information I need to begin scraping the web for more metadata.

From the wiki, I am interested mainly in the following bits of information:

Code Length Description
0x000 12 The title of the game
0x00C 4 The game code (used for lookups)
0x010 2 The code of the game developer
0x01E 1 ROM version
0x230 8 Title ID

With this information at hand I quickly put together the following sample project to check that I was able to pull the required information out of the ROM file.

class Program {
    static void Main(string[] args)
    {
        var source = @"E:\temp\test-rom.nds";
        var fs = new FileStream(source, FileMode.Open);
        var br = new BinaryReader(fs);

        Console.WriteLine("Game Name   : {0}", ReadBytes(br, 0x000, 12));
        Console.WriteLine("Game Code   : {0}", ReadBytes(br, 0x00C, 4));
        Console.WriteLine("Maker Code  : {0}", ReadBytes(br, 0x010, 2));
        Console.WriteLine("ROM Version : {0}", ReadBytes(br, 0x01E, 1));
        Console.WriteLine("Title ID    : {0}", ReadBytes(br, 0x230, 8));

        Console.WriteLine();
        Console.WriteLine("Done");
        Console.ReadLine();
    }

    private static string ReadBytes(BinaryReader br, int seek, int length)
    {
        byte[] test = new byte[length];
        br.BaseStream.Seek(seek, SeekOrigin.Begin);
        br.Read(test, 0, length);
        return Encoding.UTF8.GetString(test);
    }
}

There is a lot of room for optimization here, but for a quick test this seems to do the job correctly.

Using the information extracted from the ROM file and advanscene.com, I can take the returned Game Code (AEKE) and run a basic search.

Success, my proof of concept works - now it's time to take this into the real world.

comments powered by Disqus